You are here
The Jefferson College Peer Tutoring Program’s mission is to provide students with the academic support, resources, study skills and peer collaboration to assist students to be successful in their courses.
The Peer Tutoring program provides one on one tutoring with a fellow student who has already been successful in the class.
For students wanting to request a peer tutor, the program provides one hour of FREE tutoring each week per class. Students with documented disabilities or students in Project Success may request additional tutoring hours.
To be a peer tutor, students must have an overall 3.0 GPA . The GPA requirements must be met every semester. Peer tutors are paid for individual tutoring or for group tutoring. Jefferson College provides the training to be peer tutor.
Peer Tutor Requirements for CRLA Certification:
- Students must be willing to attend all training sessions
- Students must complete an online Jefferson College Application
- Students must complete the Peer Tutor Eligibility Form
- Students must complete training modules worksheet in the Testing Center
Watch the training videos produced by North Carolina State University once you have been approved by the Peer Tutor Coordinator to be a Peer Tutor:
- Module 1: The Tutor's Role
- Module 2: Positive Reinforcement
- Module 3: Listening Skills
- Module 4: The Student's Ideas
- Module 5: The Importance of Student Verbalization
- Module 6: Questioning Skills
- Module 7: Helping the Student Become an Independent Learner
- Module 8: Direct Techniques
- Peer Tutor Training Worksheets (You will need to give these to your Peer Tutor Coordinator.)