You are here
Veterinary Technology Admission Procedures
- Prerequisites for the program are high school biology and chemistry or or college-level biology. These courses must have been accompanied by a laboratory session and been completed within 5 years of the registration date into the Veterinary Technology Program. The student must have completed the courses with a grade of "C" or better. For example, if you are applying for the fall 2023 semester, the date of completion for the biology and chemistry courses cannot be any earlier than 2018.
- Complete a general Application for Admission (denote Veterinary Technology as your major). This application can be submitted to the Office of Admissions in Student Services or completed on-line.
- Click here to obtain a Veterinary Technology Supplemental Application. Return the completed application to Jefferson College, Veterinary Technology, 1000 Viking Drive, Hillsboro, MO 63050.
- Pay the $30 Veterinary Technology application fee (please pay at the cashier's window located in the Student Center) and enclose a paid receipt in the Veterinary Technology Supplemental Application.
- Submit official copies of high school and college transcripts to the Jefferson College Enrollment Services.
- Applicants are encouraged to take the ACT within two years of application. If the applicant chooses not to complete the ACT, the applicant’s admission score will be based on current cumulative GPA. High school GPA will be used unless the applicant has 12 or more college credits. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or above to receive a file review.
- Completion and verification of 16 hours of veterinary clinical shadowing/observation hours OR employment in a veterinary practice that employs at least one Registered Veterinary Technician. The applicant is responsible for completing and submitting the observation form provided in the supplemental application packet to the Veterinary Technology department no later than March 31, 2023.
- Submit two form letters of professional and/or academic recommendation. These letters should be sent to Jefferson College, Veterinary Technology, 1000 Viking Drive, Hillsboro, MO 63050.
- General Admission Applications can be completed and returned at any time. The Veterinary Technology Supplemental Application can be completed and returned to the Jefferson College Veterinary Technology Department from July 1 through March 31 of each year.
- The Veterinary Technology Admissions Committee meets to review applications in April of each year. ONLY COMPLETE FILES WILL BE REVIEWED. A maximum number of 36-48 students will be accepted into the Veterinary Technology Program. Letters will be sent to individuals informing them of the committee's decision.