You are here
PLUS loans are federally funded, low interest loans made available to eligible PARENTS of dependent undergraduate students. A PLUS loan borrower must be creditworthy or must obtain a creditworthy endorser on the loan. The borrower is responsible for paying the interest on the loan from the time the loan is disbursed. PLUS loans are not based on financial need and require no collateral.
It is recommended that a student first borrow a Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Student Loan if possible, as PLUS loan interest rates are higher and PLUS loan repayment begins immediately after the first disbursement of the loan.
Plus Loan Eligibility Criteria
- Parent of full-time or half-time dependent undergraduate student;
- U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- No adverse credit history;
- Valid social security number;
- Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe a refund on an overpayment in any Title IV program