Jefferson College

You are here

Supporters

County Assessor’s Office Donates Civil War Era Records to Jefferson County History Center at Jefferson College

The Jefferson County Assessor’s Office recently donated a series of 13 bound volumes from the Civil War era to the Jefferson County History Center located in the Jefferson College Library on the Hillsboro campus.

Pictured with the records are, from left, Jefferson County Historical Society Vice President Carole Goggin, Jefferson County Assessor Terry Roesch, and Jefferson College Library Services Director Lisa Wolfe.

Ranging in date from 1859-1870, the materials consist of county assessment books and abstracts, personal property and real estate assessments, tax records and funded debt, and assessor’s books.  As a public resource, the materials can be used by those looking for family history or movement during the Civil War period.

The Jefferson County History Center serves as an archive for Jefferson County and is located on the second floor of the Library. The History Center is used for genealogical research by Jefferson County residents as well as visitors from many different states and Canada, whose ancestors once lived in the region. The center provides access to such documents as probate files dating from the 1820s, real estate and personal property taxes from the 19th through the mid-20th century, the federal census for Jefferson County, and county newspapers from 1869-1952.

Use of the Jefferson County History Center is available by appointment only by calling (636) 481-3166 or (636) 797-3000, ext. 3166, or emailing refdesk@jeffco.eduThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it .


Jefferson College Automotive Program Receives Autos and Engines Donation. Equipment Supports Student Mastery of NATEF Skills

The Jefferson College Automotive Technology program received a donation of five engines and two luxury vehicles—a Mercedes-Benz 190 and a Jaguar S-Type--from Autos of Europe.

Pictured with the automobiles are, from left, Automotive Technology Associate Professor Gerard Uhls, College President Dr. Raymond Cummiskey, and Automotive Technology Professor Gary Boyher. The donation was made possible by Autos of Europe Service Manager Jeff Huchowski, an alumnus of the Jefferson College Automotive Technology program.

The donated equipment will be used to support student mastery of skills in connection with the college’s recent certification by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) and the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) for meeting strict industry standards in the areas of brakes, electrical/electronic systems, engine performance, engine repair, and suspension/steering.

To achieve NATEF accreditation status, the Automotive Technology program underwent a rigorous evaluation using nationally accepted standards of excellence in instruction, facilities, and equipment.

The Automotive Technology program is among several popular training options offered at Jefferson College, allowing students to pursue an Associate of Applied Science degree or a Career and Technical certificate. Graduates are employed at some of the most respected and well-known repair facilities throughout the region.


Grainger Foundation Supports Jefferson College Foundation

The Grainger Foundation has donated $5,000 to the Jefferson College Foundation in support Jefferson College’s mission to provide quality education that fosters a supportive learning environment and promote intellectual, social, and personal growth. Pictured, from left, is Jefferson College President Dr. Raymond Cummiskey, Grainger Branch Manager Daniel Onder, Jefferson College Foundation Consultant Tom Burke, Jefferson College Dean of Career and Technical Education Elizabeth Check, and Jefferson College Automotive Technology Professor Gerard Uhls.

“The donation will be used to purchase a set of hybrid car technologies that will allow the college to teach students about alternative hybrid technology. This technology is used to increase automobile efficiency and is considered environmentally responsible,” said Elizabeth Check. “The Automotive faculty are happy to have the latest technology for use in the classroom. We are grateful to The Grainger Foundation for its support.”

The donation was recommended by Dan Onder of W.W. Grainger, Inc.’s, Fenton, Missouri, location. Grainger has been a part of the Fenton business community for more than 20 years as the leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance, repair, and operating products.

“We are proud to recommend the programs offered by Jefferson College,” said Onder. “We understand the need to educate students on new technologies that will help reduce gas emissions and improve the environment.”

The Grainger Foundation, an independent, private foundation based in Lake Forest, Illinois, was established in 1949 by William W. Grainger, founder of W.W. Grainger, Inc.


Let the Fur Fly:  FURminator Donation Supports Jefferson College Vet Tech Program

In support of higher education in our community and concern for animals, FURminator, Inc. of Fenton recently donated four de-shedding tools, one gallon of shampoo and one gallon of de-shedding solution for use in the Jefferson College Veterinary Technology program.

Pictured, from left, is Jefferson College Foundation Consultant Tom Burke, FURminator Marketing Director Melissa Franklin and her English bulldog, Brody, and Veterinary Technology Program Director Dana Nevois.

The Jefferson College Veterinary Technology program combines the study of college-level general education and extensive course work in science and animal health theory and practice to prepare graduates for careers as registered veterinary technicians.