Disability Support Services Getting Started
Who is eligible?
The DSS Office provides services for any Jefferson College student with a diagnosed disability, including visual, hearing, psychiatric, physical, and learning disabilities.
Current and appropriate documentation of a disability must be provided to the DSS Office and must show how the disability substantially limits one or more major life activities before accommodations can be received. Jefferson College follows the established guidelines of the St. Louis Association on Higher Education and Disabilities (AHEAD) regarding documentation requirements of learning disabilities at the post-secondary level.
To request information regarding required documentation, contact the DSS Office in the main campus library at Jefferson College Hillsboro or call (636) 481-3158 or (636) 797-3000, ext. 3158.
To ensure appropriate accommodations are in place before the semester begins, the
following steps must be taken:
1) Contact the DSS Office at (636) 481-3158 or (636) 797-3000, ext. 3158 to discuss potential eligibility
and the process for accessing disability services.
2) Schedule an appointment to meet with a DSS staff member and complete an Application for Services.
(Application can be completed online at myjeffco.edu)
3) Provide the DSS Office with all requested and appropriate documentation.*
4) Meet with an advisor and register for classes.
5) Contact the DSS Office each semester to continue receiving services.
(* If accommodations are needed for entrance placement, the student needs to schedule an appointment with the DSS coordinator before meeting with an advisor and registering for classes.).