spacer.png, 0 kB

spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
Academic Advising | Print |
Article Index
Academic Advising
Hours and Information
Advisor Assignment
Current Students
New Students
FAQs - Students
FAQs - Parents
Transfer FAQs
Transfer Resources
Advising Guides
Transfer Contacts
Career Services

1. Which of my courses will transfer?
Generally, any course accepted as general education for the Associate of Arts degree will transfer. Most AA elective courses will also transfer, but it is best to check with your four-year institution for acceptable electives for a particular degree program.

2. Which of my courses will not transfer?
Developmental courses (numbered 000-099) do not transfer. Also, some four-year institutions do not accept MTH128 Intermediate Algebra. For information about transfer opportunities in Career and Technical Education (Vo-Tech), contact the Academic Advising office, 636-481-3209, or the Career-Tech office, ext. 3445 or 3467.

3. How many total hours will transfer to a four-year institution?
If a student earns an AA or AS degree, generally 62-64 credits transfer. Some four-year institutions will accept more than 64 credits. Check with an advisor at the receiving institution (the university you are transferring to) for an exact number.

4. Should I declare a major during my two years at the community college?
You do not have to declare a major while at Jefferson; however, the earlier you pick a major, the easier it will be to align general education curriculum to a four year degree plan and to choose appropriate electives. Your Jefferson advisor can help you choose math, science, social science, humanities, and electives to suit your major.

5. What course(s) should I take if I am undecided?
The Career Exploration course is helpful if you want to examine various career options. In addition, you should take a wide variety of general education courses, which will provide a solid foundation for any major and help you to determine your academic and career interests.

6. What can I do to ensure a successful transfer?
Order the four-year institution's College Catalog and request any information regarding your program of choice. Also, speak to an advisor at the four-year institution as early as possible, even during your first semester at Jefferson. Check with your Jefferson advisor before registering each semester.

7. What can Jefferson do to ensure a successful transfer?
Jefferson provides personalized academic advising. For transfer course equivalency charts on university web-sites, click on Transfer Resources in the menu above. Jefferson maintains open communication with four-year institutions regarding curriculum changes and transfer issues. We also adhere to state transfer guidelines.

8. What if a transfer institution questions a course(s) or refuses to accept a course(s)?
Follow the transfer institution's appeal process (see Catalog or Student Handbook). If the matter cannot be resolved, contact Jefferson's Transfer Articulation Officer (Kim Harvey, 636-481-3207 or 636-797-3000, ext 3207) to explain the particular situation.

9.  Should I take a foreign language if I plan to transfer?
Missouri state colleges and universities require at least 12 hours (3 semesters) 
of a foreign language for a Bachelor of Arts degree.  While this is not required for an Associate of Arts degree, you should consider fulfilling this requirement at Jefferson College where tuition is generally much lower than four-year institutions.

10. What if a transfer institution requests to see a course syllabus?
Course syllabi for general education classes are posted on the General Education section of Jefferson's web-site. For non general education course syllabi, contact 636-481-3207.

11 . Upon transfer, what is the significance of my Jefferson GPA?
Your Jefferson College GPA may be used to determine your eligibility for certain programs or scholarships at the four-year institution.

12. How are high school dual credit courses transferred to the four-year institution?
Missouri state guidelines assure the transfer of five dual credit courses. Beyond that, each institution may set its own policy.

13. What if I have taken courses at another college before attending Jefferson?
Have a copy of your transcript(s) available when meeting with an advisor to assist in registering for classes. Also, have the official transcript(s) sent to Jefferson from each previous college attended. An official review will be completed by the Registrar/Student Records Office, and all applicable credit will be posted after you have enrolled at Jefferson.

14. What happens if I transfer to the four-year institution before completing the Associate of Arts degree?
If you are transferring to a Missouri public institution and you have completed 42 hours or more at Jefferson, contact the Registrar's Office to determine if you have met the State Lower-Level General Education Requirements. If so, your transcript will be marked appropriately and should be accepted as a block at the four-year institution. If you have less than 42 hours or are transferring to a private or out-of state institution, your courses will most likely be evaluated on a course-by-course basis.

15. Is there financial aid available for students when they transfer?
Yes. Click here to find financial aid and scholarship information for common transfer institutions.

16. Are there scholarships available for students when they transfer?
Refer to question 15. Additionally, there are a few transfer scholarships listed on the Jefferson College web site. Click here for more information.

17. What transfer advice do you have for undecided students?
1) Contact the Career Services Office at both Jefferson College and the receiving institution.
2) Consider taking a Career Planning and Exploration test.
3) Take a variety of electives/general education courses to help determine an area of interest.
4) Pick a major(s) with career options that really interest you.

18. What transfer advice do you have for students who have already selected a major?
1) Determine the schools that offer your major.
2) Review evaluation books (i.e., "Rugg's Recommendations," "Gourman Report," etc.) which rate schools by majors.
3) Tour prospective schools and apply early.
4) Ask the receiving institution's Career Services staff about employer demand for your major,names of recruiting employers, employer attendees at Career Fairs and/or on-campus interviewing, and salaries.

19. What if I still have questions?
Contact the Transfer Specialist by calling 636-481-3285 or visit the Advising & Retention Center on the top floor of the Student Center on the Hillsboro campus.

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 18 March 2014 )
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB