spacer.png, 0 kB

spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
Academic Advising | Print |
Article Index
Academic Advising
Hours and Information
Advisor Assignment
Current Students
New Students
FAQs - Students
FAQs - Parents
Transfer FAQs
Transfer Resources
Advising Guides
Transfer Contacts
Career Services

As parents, how should we be prepared for the transition from high school to college?
This is always a tough transition for the family.  Students will be exposed to new ideas, and they may begin to create a new set of values. Students will have opportunities to interact with others from different backgrounds and cultures and review their political and social ideas.  Keeping the lines of communication open is the best way to smooth the transition.  Talk often with your student about how they are feeling about the College experience and what they are learning.

How many hours per week are reasonable for a student to work and go to school fulltime?
Ideally a student should avoid working over 20 hours per week if attending classes full time. Students working part time, while attending school full time, may develop or enhance time management skills and learn to balance commute times, study time, social time and work.  A full-time student schedule is the equivalent to a full-time job.

My student did not study too much in high school and still made good grades. What can my student expect in college?
Students should plan to study about 2 hours per week per credit hour. For example, students registered for 15 credit hours should budget 30 hours per week for studying and 15 hours in the classroom which equals 45 hours committed to their education.

Can my student attend classes at different campuses in the County or must they have all of their classes at the same campus?
Students may have classes at any location. Some students schedule classes at Northwest or Arnold and at the Main campus in Hillsboro, too. Students choose their schedule and location based on what is convenient for them at a certain time. 

What should we do if my student is sick and must miss a class?
Students should review the syllabus and follow the professor’s guidelines. Most professors will want either an email or a message on their voice mail letting them know about missing a class.

My student wants to transfer to a four year university, will all of the credits transfer?
We encourage students to contact the college or university that they plan to transfer to discuss course transferability and admission requirements. Generally speaking, most colleges and universities will accept the Associate of Arts degree as a completion of the general education requirements and students will start as a junior. Of course, this is always major dependent. 

How can I find out how my student is doing in their classes?
Students must sign a release of information form for parents and guardians to have access to this information.  Students may obtain the form from any campus registration site or online through the STARS account.  The student may grant permission for academic and/or financial records.  All requests for information should be directed to the Office of Student Records.

My student is an A+ recipient; can they go to school in the summer?
Yes, A+ recipients may attend summer classes. Students must take six credit hours to receive the tuition fund benefits.  A summer semester will count as a full semester of classes.  Contact Student Financial Services for additional information at 636-481-3212/3219/3239.

What services are available if my student is struggling in a class?
Jefferson College has free peer tutoring services for most courses. Tutors are available on each campus in the Learning Center. Students may visit the Writing Lab for assistance in planning, drafting, revising and editing papers.  The Math Lab is available for students in any math course for assistance in all levels of math. Both labs are  located in the Learning Center on all three campuses.

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 18 March 2014 )
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB