spacer.png, 0 kB

spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
Academic Advising | Print |
Article Index
Academic Advising
Hours and Information
Advisor Assignment
Current Students
New Students
FAQs - Students
FAQs - Parents
Transfer FAQs
Transfer Resources
Advising Guides
Transfer Contacts
Career Services

What is a pre-requisite?
A pre-requisite is a requirement or condition that must be met prior to taking a specific course.  A pre-requisite may include test scores and/or other college or high-school coursework.  Pre-requisites are listed in the college catalog with the course descriptions.

What is a co-requisite?
A co-requisite is a requirement or condition that must be met at the same time that you are taking a specific course.

What is a credit hour?
A credit hour is the standard unit of measurement for university-level work applicable toward a degree.  One credit hour is equal to one 50-minute class period per week, per semester.  Thus the usual three-credit-hour course is based on meeting 50 minutes per day three days per week for one semester.  The term “credit hour” is often shortened to “hour” or “hours” as in “an associates degree requires at least 62 hours of work.”

How many hours should I take each semester to graduate in two years?
Most associate’s degrees require at least 62 hours of coursework to graduate.  For a student to graduate in two years, they should complete 15 – 17 hours each Fall and Spring semester.  If a student wishes to take courses during the Intersession or Summer semesters, they may reduce their course load during the Fall and Spring.

What is the difference between an advisor and a counselor?
An academic advisor can assist students making short- and long-term decisions about their academic future, including choosing majors, courses and career related options.  Counselors can assist students with personal and emotional issues.  Jefferson College has both advisors and counselors available for students.

What is the difference between an Associate of Arts and an Associate of Applied Science Degree?
An Associate of Arts degree is designed as a “transfer” degree for students wishing to continue their education by pursuing a Bachelor’s degree.  An Associate of Applied Science degree is designed to prepare a student to enter the workforce and/or complete state licensing for professional practice.

I plan to transfer to another college after I complete my degree at Jefferson. How do I know what will transfer?
The Associate of Arts degree is designed as a transfer degree.  Completing the general education requirements at Jefferson College will greatly facilitate your transfer.  For specific course transferability, you will need to check the requirements at the college to which you wish to transfer.  You can check with the Transfer Specialist in the ARC and/or check with the transfer institution’s admissions officer for transfer guides.  The final decision on transfer credit will be made at the transfer institution.

When do I need to make a decision about declaring my major?
You do not need to declare a major immediately upon enrollment at Jefferson College.  The sooner you can make your decision, the easier it will be to create an overall degree plan for your enrollment.  Many undeclared students will work on first completing their general education requirements to allow them to finalize a decision while still working toward their education goals.

What can I do to help me declare a major?
Working with an Academic Advisor can help you review your options at Jefferson College.  Taking courses that interest you may help you further refine your career and academic choices.  There are some assessments in the Career Development Center that may also help you review your choices.  Students also have the option of taking a course called Career Exploration (GUD 101) that may help them with their decision on academic major and career choices.

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 18 March 2014 )
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB