Dependency Override Information & Forms
2015-2016 Dependency Override Forms & Information
|2015-2016 Dependency Override Form|
|Dependency Override Brochure|
An independent student is exempt from listing parental information on their federal student aid application. A Dependency Override occurs when a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of unusual circumstances.
Unusual Circumstances warranting Dependency Override Consideration:
- Student’s parent(s) cannot be located;
- Student’s parent(s) are incarcerated or hospitalized for long-term care;
- Student has been physically, sexually, emotionally, or mentally abused by an immediate member of the family and has therefore been removed from the parent(s) residence;
- Parents deceased;
- Death of a custodial parent and student has no contact with non-custodial parent;
- Has a legal guardian that has not legally adopted the student;
- Is an unaccompanied homeless youth as documented by a homeless youth liaison or shelter
Please read the Dependency Override Exclusions listed in the Dependency Override Brochure to be sure you are eligible for a Dependency Override before submitting a request. For instance, a student's self-sufficiency or parent's unwillingness to provide FAFSA information and refusal to contribute to the student's education does not merit a dependency override.